Friday, December 3, 2010

Potatoes and Chard with Green Curry Sauce

Yum. This one's a keeper. It's so fracking cold up here, that I chose all my recipes for the next few nights from the Winter section of the book. Jack says he likes this dish on a cold day, and we discovered that we do too!

Some cooking observations: I didn't use enough green curry out of fear that I would make the dish too spicy. Nope. Definitely not too spicy. Tommie had to add some chili flakes to his plate to get the zip he wanted. So, I'm going with two tablespoons next time at bat.

Also, I just cannot get the timing right on my stove. We've lived here one year this week, and I'm still simmering my dishes way too hot. I think I'm done with trying to use the "simmer" indicator on the knob and just lower the heat to med-low or low. I share this story with you, because I definitely overcooked the potatoes. It might have been a blessing though, because some of the potatoes kinda mushed up, and so it made the dish seem even creamier.

Bottom line, even with me under-spicing and over-cooking this dish, we still loved it! Gonna go with 4.5 stars. Maybe if I get it right I'll be able to award this curry the full 5 stars. Oh one last thing: Jack recommends serving this with rice. I didn't do that. Potatoes and rice seems like way too many carbs and overkill. Do you disagree?

No comments:

Post a Comment