Saturday, February 5, 2011

Indian-Spiced Turnip Cakes with Mango Salsa


We have eaten well today! This afternoon, Tommie and I had lunch at Layalina, a Lebanese/Syrian restaurant in Arlington that our friend Tara had raved about. She was right -- fabulous food. Check it out if you're in the area.

Then tonight, I made this Indian flavored turnip cake recipe for the first time. If I'm being honest, it's a pain in the ass to make. The puree has to chill in the fridge at least four hours prior to forming the cakes, so right there Jack had almost lost me. I went to make the recipe the other night and realized that I needed to pre-make the puree. Grrrr.

Our kitchen looks like a bomb of bowls, pans, and cutting boards exploded, and then to top things off, our smoke alarms sounded while I was making the turnip cakes. That's the one downside to having an open floor-plan home -- the stupid smoke alarms go off all the time.

But, all that aside, this is one delicious, nutrient-rich meal. Sadly, this one gets knocked down due to the pain-in-the-ass factor, so we're giving it a 3.5. Oh, and BTW, I've given up on pinching off the stems of my spinach. You can't really tell when you cook spinach, but I guess for a salad I really should, but that's a pain in the ass too. On that happy note, bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment