Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Spicy Moroccan Lentil Soup with Tomatoes and Herbs


If technique is not your strength, and you don't want to slave over the stove, this dish is for you. Here's how you do it: you chop up a few veggies and herbs, dump them in a large sauce pan with lentils, water, a can of diced tomatoes, and some ground spices, bring it to a boil, and then simmer for an hour. It sits on the stove for a while because the lentils need time to soften, but once you turn it to a simmer, your work is done.

Jack comments that you can play with the herbs, and I think next time I'll try it with some cumin rather than tumeric. I did add a couple shakes of ground sumac to give a hint of a lemony flavor, and I think it worked. (Thanks Lebanese Taverna cooking class for that tip. Your lentil soup rocks BTW.) In fact, I think I might take another idea from Lebanese Taverna and also add in some potato chunks next time. Wait. Maybe I should just find the Lebanese Taverna recipe and follow it...

Anywho, I'm going with 3 stars for this dish. It's good. Not fabulous. But good. It's a nice hearty soup, with plenty of nutrients, and it's super easy to make. Nothing wrong with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment