Monday, November 15, 2010

Kale and Chickpea Soup with Parmesan

Tonight's dinner: Kale and Chickpea Soup with

without Parmesan. So, I tried to make a healthier, non-cheese version of Jack's soup, because as many of you know, Tommie fears The Cheese. Frankly, it came out pretty good, but I definitely think that if you did flavor the soup with the parmesan rind while it simmers and then sprinkle shaved parmesan and oil over top just before serving, this soup would be fabulous.

On the nutrition side, it's wonderful: kale, carrots, celery, onions, tomatoes, garlic, and chickpeas. That's a whole lotta nutrient-rich fuel. But without the cheese, the viscosity, was disappointing. Tommie made himself some toast and added pieces to the soup, which actually worked very well.

We're gonna give this dish a 3.75. The flavors were there, but without the parmesan it just didn't knock my socks off.

BTDubs, I had one unintentional cooking gaffe: You're supposed to remove the rosemary sprig from the soup before serving, but all the needles fell off the stem by the time I needed to do this. I wonder if I simmered the soup too briskly?

No comments:

Post a Comment