Saturday, November 20, 2010

White Bean and Tomato Casserole with Bread Crumb Topping


Dinner FAIL! Well, you can see from the photo that the bread crumbs burned a bit. Jack said to broil the casserole for 2 to 3 minutes, but check to make sure it doesn't burn. I tried to look through the door after maybe 30 seconds, but realized that I couldn't see the top, so I opened the door, and the bread crumbs had already burned. Bummer.

I have never had success broiling anything. In fact, the first time I tried this dish years ago, I set the whole thing on fire. Those were fun times.

Let's start at the beginning. I wanted to do this correctly, so I made sure that I used good white bread (which we bought at the local farmers' market), and I took the time to dry out the bread and then process in my food processor to make the bread crumbs. All went perfectly well.

Next I cooked up the onion, tomato, garlic, thyme, and bean mixture per the instructions. Seasoned appropriately. Spread the seasoned bread crumbs over the mixture in the pan, put it under the broiler, and you know the rest.

The flavors were fine. Nothing to write home about, and you couldn't tell that the bread was burnt -- I guess I took it out in the nick of time. But, am I excited to eat the leftovers? Not so much. Tons of protein, hardly any fat, and vegetables to boot, so it's a nice healthy dish, but it's just... eh.

I'm giving it 2.5 stars. Tommie says 3, but he didn't take the time to do all the prep work. He's actually cleaning up the messy kitchen post-cooking, so I'll bet by the end he'll go with 2.5 as well. Too much work for just an average meal.

It had to happen one day: I don't really like this Jack Bishop dish. And on the same day the Canes lose another game to Virginia Tech. At least the Hip Hop Awards are on tonight. Yee-haw!!!!

Update: It tasted better as leftovers the next day. Worthy of 3 stars.

1 comment:

  1. I liked it, and even after the cleanup, I give it a solid 3. Tasty, nice texture.

    ReplyDelete