Monday, November 15, 2010

Spicy Vegetable Tagine

I forgot the cilantro!!!!! I've made this dish many times -- it's easy, tasty, and highly nutritious, but when we sat down and started eating I felt like something was missing. When Tommie got up to clear the table he realized the chopped cilantro was still on the counter. It seems crazy, but to me the dish definitely suffered without it.

Fortunately our guests seemed to enjoy the meal despite the non-cilantro flavoring. Basing my rating solely on last night's meal, I give this dish a 4. That really reflects more my cooking than the actual meal. I can't believe I forgot the cilantro.

One more thing: our friends who ate with us are carnivores who don't often eat vegetarian meals and were surprised by how good the food made them feel. I read a question made by a nutritionist recently that seems apropos: "You wouldn't put the lowest grade fuel in your BMW, why would you do that to yourself?"

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Tracy for our first introduction to the most delicious, healthy vegetarian meal. I made this dish again on Wednesday night, but yours - even sans cilantro - tasted better. As you skillfully suggested, I shouldn't be afraid to add salt to the pot to bring out the flavors in the veggies. Can't wait to experiment more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy you liked it! You'll figure out the seasonings. I think he keeps the seasonings listed a bit on the conservative side so that you can adjust up. The heat is usually spot on (chiles, etc), but salt I almost always have to add.

    ReplyDelete