Friday, January 28, 2011

Pan-Fried Noodle Cake with Stir-Fried Bok Choy


We have now discovered the upper limit of my cooking ability: the noodle cake. I'm really trying to stretch my comfort zone and explore new tastes and styles, so after using this book for many years now, tonight was the first time I have made this dish.

And let me say, that the flavors are fabulous. The bok choy flavoring includes hoisin sauce, so how could you go wrong, really?

A breakdown of my challenges:
  1. This is my first time cooking with bok choy, and I weighed out the 1 3/4 pounds as the recipe says, but when I started prepping it, I realized that it had large stems but few leaves. Makes me wonder if Whole Foods got in a lousy batch and chopped off the leaves to make it look better? I'll be looking at bok choy in the markets now to see if it normally comes with more leaves. Thankfully, I bought a huge bin of spinach today, so I just threw in a bunch of that.
  2. Fresh chinese noodles. Not so easy for me to find the fresh kind, so I went with dried noodles. Tasted fine, but I'm not sure if the measurements were off because of this. Which leads me to point 3...
  3. My noodle cake was huge in the pan. So I had to use a serving plate to flip the cake. Sadly, I didn't have another serving plate close at hand, which meant my top plate was smaller. When I flipped the cake, the edges fell off. No surprise there. 
  4. I think because I probably had too much noodles in the pan, it was too thick, so it didn't really form a cake per se. More like a large, fluffy, flat-ish brain.
In the end, what we got was an incredibly tasty, low-sodium, Ramen Noodles dinner.  Nothing wrong with that except that we had five bowls, two skillets, and a large pot to clean in addition to cutting board knives and spoons.

I'm giving this dish 2 stars, simply because I could not replicate it. Can you? I will give a $5 Dunkin Donuts card to the first person who can replicate this dish properly with pictures as proof. And, if you do succeed, could you please tell me how you did it?

Fine Print: to play, you have to have a copy of the book or get the recipe from someone else. My fingers are tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment